Special Father’s Day Gifts – Treat Him to Something Unique!
Father’s Day in the United States is just around the corner so it’s time to celebrate those wonderful dads and let them know how much they mean to us!
When the concept of a “Father’s Day” first happened in 1909, many people scoffed at the idea because they believed that the mother was the sole nurturer of children. All of us know, however, that a father is just as important for a child as the mother is. If mothers are the heroes of child-rearing, the significance of a father in the development and emotional well being of a child is no less. A child always depends on their dad for spiritual, emotional, physical, financial and even social well being. For daughters, their father is the ideal man in the world and also the first man they adore. For sons, a father is an idol and the strongest man they aspire to emulate.
Interesting Father’s Day Trivia
- Sonora Dodd from Spokane, Washington, first suggested a “Father’s Day” in 1909 after listening to a Mother’s Day sermon. She wanted to establish a day to honor her father, William Smart, who was a widowed Civil War veteran with 6 children and a farm. In 1972, President Nixon signed the holiday into law. Stewart, Alicia W. “Modern Fathers Face New Expectations.” CNN. Updated June 16, 2013
- In 2013, there were 214,000 stay-at-home (SAH) dads in the U.S. SAH dads are defined as married fathers with children younger than 15 who are out of the labor force for at least one year to care for the family while their wives work outside of the home.“Trends in Fathering.” National Center for Fathering. 2015
- A new study shows that fathers who share household chores with their wives tend to have more ambitious daughters as well as daughters with more broad definitions of gender roles. Sanghani, Radhika. “Dads Who Do the Housework Will Have More Ambitious Daughters.” The Telegraph. May 29, 2014
- Over 87 million cards are sent each year on Father’s Day, making it the 4th most popular day for sending cards. “Dad Stats.” National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse. 2015
- When fathers are involved in their child’s education, the children perform better in school, learn more, and exhibit healthier behavior. Raeuburn, Paul. Do Fathers Matter? What Science Is Telling Us about the Parent We’ve Overlooked. New York, NY: Scientific America, 2014
Special Father’s Day Gifts
We all want our fathers to feel special on their special day, so you might want to check out some of these unique and very special gift ideas.
Maybe dad needs a break, so how about a dartboard game!
A posh take on a pub classic, our glam, and glossy Op Art … [More]
Mind-bending, hand-finished patterns in high-contrast lacquer gloss up any game room or dude’s den.
I also love this manly vase!
Sculptural, modernist, dynamic, but pleasingly balan… [More]
More Interesting Father’s Day Trivia
- Charles Darwin, the “father of evolution” was also a devoted father to his 10 kids (two of whom died in infancy). In a time when childrearing was seen as women’s work, he played a central role in educating and raising his children. Raeuburn, Paul. Do Fathers Matter? What Science Is Telling Us about the Parent We’ve Overlooked. New York, NY: Scientific America, 2014
- The amount of time U.S. fathers spend with their children has tripled since 1965. The number of stay-at-home dads has nearly doubled since 1989. Wallace, Kelly. “Do Modern Dads Get Enough Credit?” CNN. Updated March 5, 2015
- The world’s oldest father is believed to be Ramajit Raghav from India. He was 96 years old when his 52-year-old wife gave birth to a baby boy in 2010. Raghav was single until he was in his 80s. “World’s Oldest Dad, 97, Devastated After Wife Leaves Him Following Disappearance of Their Son.” Daily Mail. October 3, 2013
- Average spending on Mother’s Day gifts in the U.S. is about $168.94 compared to $119.84 for Father’s Day. “Dad Stats.” National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse. 2015
- The father with the most children is most likely Ismail Ibn Sharif, an Alaouite sultan who fathered 888 children with hundreds of wives and concubines in the late 17th century. “How the Sultan Moulay Ismail of Morocco Sired 1,000 Children.” Ancient Origins. February 26, 2015
I also love Jonathan Adler products and they have some great ones for dad! Look at these!
Our Monaco Boxes are made from polished steel topped wi… [More]
Does your dad like deep sea fishing? Or maybe just likes something very unusual and quite stunning for his office? This item would be perfect for him!
Elemental forms with subtle layers of pattern and decor… [More]
Their Menagerie Collection starts its journey in their Soho pottery studio where Jonathan and his team hand-sculpt the original model in clay. The prototype is then sent to their workshop in Peru where skilled artisans produce each piece in high-fired stoneware.
One more thing I would like to show you is this perfect tray box from Jonathan Adler –
Our Jacques Collection is the perfect blend of simplicity an… [More]
Want a Few More Trivia Facts About Father’s Day?
- Father’s Day is celebrated at different times around the world. Spain and Belgium celebrate fathers on March 19; Australia and New Zealand honor fathers on the first Sunday in September; and in Britain, Canada, and the U.S., Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday in June. Raeuburn, Paul. Do Fathers Matter? What Science Is Telling Us about the Parent We’ve Overlooked. New York, NY: Scientific America, 2014
- A male who has many brothers is more likely to have sons. In contrast, a man who has many sisters is more likely to have daughters. “Chromosomes Are So 20th Century—Male Genes Really Determine Baby Gender, Says Study.” Science 2.0. December 14, 2008
- The word “dad” was first recorded in 1500 but is most likely significantly older. Researchers believe it is derived from a child’s first sounds and is nearly universal. In other languages, the word is tad (Welsh), daid (Irish), tata (Greek), tete (Lithuanian), and tatah (Sanskrit). “Dad.” Online Etymological Dictionary. 2001–2015
- At least 66 countries guarantee a father’s right to paid paternity leave, and at least 31 offer 14 weeks or more. The United States is not one of them. Samakow, Jessica. “Paternity Leave: Best States for News Dads.” Huffington Post. Updated December 6, 2012
- Halsey Taylor invented the drinking fountain as a tribute to his father, who contracted typhoid fever after drinking from a contaminated public water supply in 1896. “15 Dad Facts for Father’s Day.” Mental Floss
I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.
– Umberto Eco
I really enjoy hearing from readers, so please leave a comment below to let me know if you enjoyed my post, if there is anything I can do to make a post better, if you found a décor item you were looking for, or if you have any questions. Thank you!
I also have some articles on the brief history of stained glass, hand-carved wood, handmade pottery from Nicaragua, handcrafted wood decor, stained glass lamps, handcrafted wooden boxes called Waka Huia, handcrafted wreaths, tapestries, the beauty of stained glass, pottery by hand, people that create art with their hands, and carving wood into art. I hope you take a few moments to read them and thanks so much! For more about me, go to the About Me page above.
Also check out my posts on quick and easy winter home decor fixes for your master bedroom , 4 simple winter home décor ideas to make your living room cozy this winter!, designer bedding collections, simple home decor ideas for spring, Create an Outdoor Oasis! 8 Great Decor Ideas!, and Pet Lover’s Gifts! Unique Decor Ideas for that Special Pet!